Check out our Angular Book Series.

The Flex Show - Episode 14: Tony Hillerson Interview Part 2

This is the second half of our interview with Tony Hillerson from effectiveUI. In the intro I mentioned the contest, which was supposed to end last Monday. My fault! Tony also asked us to add that Effective UI is hiring, and you should be able to find info on that on their web site. For this week's show notes, we just have a few links. Sorry about the beeps

Interview

Dave Finnerty's Gravatar Good interview. It gave me a bunch of things to look into for using on the back end of flex2.

Any chance you guys can talk about using php as the back end solution? Something like this project, amfphp http://amfphp.sourceforge.net/ and its pros and cons. Also how much does FDS from Adobe cost and its benefits

Thanks and I hopr these are not too much of noob topics.
# Posted By Dave Finnerty | 6/8/07 6:31 AM
Jeffry Houser's Gravatar Dave,

One of the things a lot of people have asked about is "integrating Flex with other technologies." And yes, PHP is on our list. We have not had the chance to try to track down someone using Flex and PHP who is interested in talking about it.

I understand that LiveCycle Data Services (Previously called Flex Data Services) is free for one application; but I forget what the next price point is. I can't find the pricing on the Adobe web site. More info should be somewhere here:

# Posted By Jeffry Houser | 6/8/07 7:35 AM
Dave Finnerty's Gravatar Thanks for the information Jeffry.
# Posted By Dave Finnerty | 6/8/07 8:36 AM
Tony Hillerson's Gravatar LiveCycle Data Services is free for one processor, so depending on traffic you could as run as much as you wanted off of one box.
# Posted By Tony Hillerson | 6/9/07 11:44 PM
Jeffry Houser's Gravatar That's good to know; thanks for the additional info.

I though that FDS was limited to one application (in addition to or instead of one CPU). Is this a licensing change moving from FDS 2 to LDS 2.5? Or was my previous understanding incomplete?
# Posted By Jeffry Houser | 6/10/07 1:14 PM
Dave Finnerty's Gravatar So with free for one cpu you could develop an idea and see if it has any traction before you have to invest. Right now I am looking at getting Flex to work with a PHP based community site so I will be looking into using php, but I may look at adobe for the new functionality I want to add.

It is pretty cool having the option.
# Posted By Dave Finnerty | 6/10/07 8:04 PM
Tony Hillerson's Gravatar @Jeffry - That's been since FDS. I wish I had a better idea of how much that scales to, but it really depends on a lot of things. It is a great way to test it out though.

@Dave - LCDS is great for some really neat use cases, like pushing data with messages, offline syncing and pushing data changes to all clients, that kind of thing. Those are pretty "enterprise-y" use cases though. Up to you.
# Posted By Tony Hillerson | 6/11/07 12:28 PM
Jeffry Houser's Gravatar Tony, et all

I looked it up. My interpretation of the license is slightly different than yours.

Section 3.1.3 of the Flex Data Services license agreement states seems to restrict the use of Flex Data Services Express to a single unique application on a single CPU. That is a slightly different restriction than a single CPU. I would interpret this to say that you cannot run two applications on that same CPU.

(source:
http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Adobe_FDS... )

I do not see the LiveCycle Data Services license posted yet, though. I would have expected it to be the same.
# Posted By Jeffry Houser | 6/11/07 12:44 PM
Fraiser's Gravatar Hey guys,

Thanks for the great show!

Can anyone list some good resources for LCDS?

Also, are there any good alternatives to LCDS for Flex Messaging?

Am I right that the source and standard editions of webORB don't support RTMP?

Thanks!
# Posted By Fraiser | 6/12/07 4:43 PM
Tony Hillerson's Gravatar @Jeff - Thanks for looking into that, that's good to know. I guess that's the "no hosting with free FDS" proviso.
# Posted By Tony Hillerson | 6/15/07 11:00 AM