Check out our new training course on AngularJS for Flex Developers

The Flex Show - Episode 34: The Business Case for Flex

In this episode, we talk to Kevin Phillips, the CTO of Omni Business Solutions.

We're giving away a free ticket to 360Flex Atlanta. We're only taking entries until Monday February 18th, and will award the prize on the 19th.

To enter, just drop us an e-mail and let us know what Ryan Stewart will be talking about at 360Flex. For a while we weren't sure if his schedule would allow him to attend, but he will be there and he will be speaking. You don't have to guess right, you just have to guess. ( Google it and you'll find the answer ).

Notes

Christian Grail's Gravatar Please correct the Link to Kevins Blog: http://www.kevingsblog.net/ - > http://www.kevinsblog.net
# Posted By Christian Grail | 2/13/08 10:00 AM
Jeffry Houser's Gravatar My fault, all fixed.
# Posted By Jeffry Houser | 2/13/08 10:10 AM
Brian Swartzfager's Gravatar I don't know why you guys are surprised that few people are using BlazeDS yet. I would imagine that most Flex development shops that need the functionality BlazeDS provides are already using Flex/Lifecycle DS. And most of us who simply dabble in Flex don't run our own web servers where we can install BlazeDS.

I would love to see if BlazeDS can help me improve the Flex chatting app I built for my wife to hold "virtual office hours" with her students (right now it relies on pulling XML data at certain intervals to keep the conversation up-to-date). Hopefully the web hosting company I use will provide BlazeDS as an option at some point.
# Posted By Brian Swartzfager | 2/15/08 5:46 PM
Jeffry Houser's Gravatar Brian,

I don't think we meant to convey surprise at this. It's a new product, so obviously there isn't going to be massive adoption of beta software within just a few weeks.

I would expect that most shops who need BlazeDS functionality are using an alternative, but I'm sure many do not use LiveCycle. ColdFusion, WebORB, and OpenAMF are other ways to get some "BlazeDS" functionality.

Honestly, when we asked the initial question, we meant to focus on the AMF protocol specification, not BlazeDS. However not one respondee spoke about AMF, instead preferring to talk about BlazeDS and most of the responses were 1 line "we're not using".

Thanks for listening!
# Posted By Jeffry Houser | 2/15/08 6:41 PM
Mike Mullen's Gravatar By the way guys. I've run BlazeDS on OSX (Leopard) using both the included tomcat insallation and one I configured separately. Both seem to work just fine on OSX. Nothing special, if you just want to try it out, copy it to a directory and run "tomcat/bin/catalina.sh start" from inside the downloaded directory.

Cheers and thanks for the show.
# Posted By Mike Mullen | 2/19/08 10:31 AM
John Wilker's Gravatar @Mike,

Godo to know! I figured it was something straight forward like that, just no "installer" sweet! Thanks!
# Posted By John Wilker | 2/19/08 10:41 AM
Christopher Keeler's Gravatar Do we have a winner yet? (crossing fingers)
# Posted By Christopher Keeler | 2/20/08 1:33 PM
Marlon Harrison's Gravatar Yeah…Is there a winner yet? (crosses toes…thats right I have abnormally long toes)
# Posted By Marlon Harrison | 2/20/08 3:22 PM
Jeffry Houser's Gravatar The winner has been contacted. He didn't leave his name, though, just the e-mail.

We do appreciate the followup and your entries. You can still come to the conference yourself. :-) It's a great deal, especially with Sunday's free training day.
# Posted By Jeffry Houser | 2/20/08 11:10 PM